Monday, October 17, 2011

He's Walking!!!

Jeremy can walk!! He took his first few steps at about 14 months old. Chris saw it first but I was in denial. It wasn't until he walked for me a few days later that it became real. It took him a few weeks but now he's a pro. During the transition between steps and walking he decided climbing would be fun to learn too. On the chair, off the chair, on the chair, off the chair. No, he can't sit still.

Cathleya needs to watch out now because she and her toys are now fair game. He likes to crawl or walk over to her to see what she's doing, grabs whatever she's playing with, or pulls her hair. He doesn't mean anything by it but it drive Cathleya nuts. Sometimes it is because he wants her toy. Sometimes he's just curious.

He's been saying thank you or 'tank cue', 'tang coo', or something sounding like that. But its always when he's giving you something. He's mastering car, ball, shoe. Sometimes you say a word and he actually tries to say it, like yellow & purple. Mama is too close to mum mum which some how is too close to na na like banana, but more of a universal 'give me food' meaning. So I'm trying for Mommy instead. He can sorta say Dad but its hard to say if its intentional. He recognizes his name and sometimes can point to people if you ask who that is. But most of the time he's too busy playing. He's identified his favorite blanket, a light green Pooh Bear blanket that is way too warm for summer. But, that's his blankie, or pae-pae in Chinese.

Now at 15 months old he's starting to push out two more teeth on the bottom and a molar on the top. It's been interesting. On and off runny noses, a bout of a cough, Cathleya getting over a cough... It's a good thing the rest of us haven't gotten sick. (Knock on wood)


Cathleya has been pushing her boundaries with not listening and repeatedly doing what we tell her not to. I've resorted to taking away her coveted Leapster game for one day for every act she continues to do by the 3rd warning to stop. I think it's working. By warning #2 and the reminder that the game is at stake, she gets up and does what I ask. I hope it sticks.

She's also doing a lot better at writing and trying to sound out letters and words. She still gets frustrated when you try to make her read Dr. Seuss books. Sometimes she's willing because she memorized them all, but if you point out words out of order, she's not willing anymore.

I'm trying to work on her anger management. She'll get upset and frustrated when, say her sleeve is stuck and her arm won't go through. She'll stomp her foot, scream, cry, anything but ask for help. And her "asking" is more like, 'I need blank'. I keep reminding her that's not asking. Or she'll beat around the bush to ask for things, "I want the toy with the buttons." So I hand her a button. She gets mad at me. I say, "It's a button." She says, "No something with buttons to push." So I push on the button. It just angers her more. Aren't plays on words wonderful? Just say what you want. I know she knows exactly what it is that she wants, but she doesn't out right say it. Not sure where she learned that one.

Jeremy, on the other hand, knows exactly what he wants. He just can't verbalize it yet. That causes its own heaps of frustration. Hopefully he'll start communicating better soon. And then on the next adventure.

No comments: