Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Freedom

July 4th week Trimble is shut down for the week so we decide to go on vacation to Southern California.  We'd go to Disneyland for two days, then I'd leave the kids with Daddy at Grandma's house and I'd go to Miami with some girlfriends until Sunday.

Day 2 at Disneyland our last stop is the ice cream shop.  Jeremy has been using his baby bottle as a pacifier for longer than he should be.  It was always understood that after his 2nd birthday, no more baby bottle... just like Cathleya.  So somewhere between the ice cream shop and the tram back to the car, Jeremy lost his bottle.  I ask him, "Jeremy, where's your bottle?"  He shrugs, "Lost it?!?"  He's not worried.  His reply is more mater of fact than of concern.

I take the opportunity to try to wean him off the baby bottle.  I told him that's the only one we have and he'll have to use the Buzz or Lightning McQueen sippy cup from now on.  That day was the day before my flight to Miami.  On the way home from Disneyland Chris says, "Do we have to do this while you're gone???"  But we have to seize the moment.

That night before bed, he asks for his baby bottle of milk.  I tell him he lost it and we only have the Buzz cup.  Of course the screaming and crying begin.  It goes on for a good 30 minutes or more.  Then out of desperation, he takes the Buzz cup.

The morning is met with brief confrontation, but he gives in and takes the Buzz cup.  FREE AT LAST!!!

I think the rest of the week wasn't as hard, but now 3 weeks later, he is at peace with the Buzz cup and loss of his baby bottle.  At most we're left with debates over Buzz cup vs. Lighting cup.  But he drinks way less milk now that his pacifier is gone.  I'm sure he's healthier because of it too. 

No comments: